Squash is a starchy vegetable that can be incorporated at mealtimes in replace of potatoes, rice, or pasta. Half a cup of acorn squash is about 30 calories and contains 7 grams of carbohydrates. Squash is unique vegetable because it is one of the only vegetables that is in season year-round. Acorn squash is a vegetable that should be stored in a cool, dry area away from extreme temperatures and sunlight. If stored properly, acorn squash can stay fresh for up to 3 months.
Squash is also known to be a good source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is important because it can act as an antioxidant to protect cells from damage, make collagen (a protein that is required to help wounds heal), and helps our body to absorb iron. Along with acorn squash, other vitamin C rich foods are citrus fruits, berries, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and spinach.
Below is a tasty recipe so that you can enjoy this delicious vegetable! Questions or want to set up a complimentary consultation with Alicia? Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Easy Roasted Acorn Squash Recipe
- Yield: 4 people
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley chopped for garnishing — optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the acorn squash in half and remove the seeds using a spoon.
- Lay the half acorn squash cut-side-down on a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch slices parallel to the stem.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Pour olive oil over the top of the acorn squash and sprinkle with all the spices listed on the ingredients section.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes, until the squash slices are fork-tender.
Amount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 78, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 106mg, Potassium: 402mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 1g
Recipe obtained from: www.primaverakitchen.com.