Chicago, IL 60610 1235 N. LaSalle
Open 24 hours Mon – Fri!
Open Monday: 4:30am
Close Friday: 9:30pm
Saturday: 7:00am – 8:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am – 8:00pm
Old Town Latest News
Are You Up for a Challenge? Join Team Trek!
Race across America with three fellow members to four separate destinations! Stay motivated this summer with the help of your team and win prizes as you get fit. For six weeks, your team’s exercises will be converted into mileage to move your game piece along our map of the United States. Clubs will display the progress of their teams on a map and prizes will be awarded at each destination reached.
The 6-week program begins Monday, July 21 and runs through Sunday, Aug. 31. Registration is $49 and includes a 2014 Team Trek Shirt. Participants are eligible for 10% off fitness program purchases July 14–27.
For more information contact your club’s Team Trek administrator:
East Lakeview – Marissa Panzeri (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Gold Coast – Stephanie Metzler (email@example.com)
Halsted Street – Stacy Lane (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lincoln Park – Cheryl Brown (email@example.com)
Oak Park – Mike Radice (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Old Town – Megan Konor (email@example.com)
South Loop – Josh Finfrock (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Union Station – Keith Marszalik (email@example.com)
West Loop – Sarah Lund (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fitness Formula Clubs, aka Chicago Magazine’s Best Chicago Gym, is teaming up with one of Chicago’s most iconic destinations to bring you yoga and Zumba on the Pier! Every weekend from Saturday, July 12 to Sunday, Aug. 31*, get outside and get your fitness on! Classes will be $5 for members, $10 for non-members and parking will be available for $5 with a voucher you’ll get at class.
Saturdays, 8:45 am: Yoga on the North front lawn
Sundays, 8:45 am: Zumba on the back East sundeck
*Classes will NOT be held on the Air & Water Show weekend – Saturday, Aug. 16 and Sunday, Aug. 17.
What if we told you there was something you could eat to fuel your body, improve your skin, aid in weight loss, and lower your risk for several chronic diseases? And that by buying it you’d be supporting your community? Well, it’s true! We’re talking about fruits and vegetables, and this time of year, your local Farmers Markets are chock-full of these nutrient-dense foods that not only offer several health benefits, but also taste fantastic. Buying local food also benefits the environment and the local economy, and promotes safer food supply practices.
What can you find in Chicago’s Farmers Markets in July? Fresh fruits available now include blueberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes, melons, nectarines, peaches, plums, raspberries and strawberries. You can also find a wide variety of vegetables, including artichokes, beets, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, green onions, kale, lettuce, okra, radishes, rhubarb, spinach, sprouts, summer squash, swiss chard, tomatoes and turnips.
Click here to find a Farmers Market near you! Here’s a delicious, healthy recipe you can make with the ingredients you find on your next Farmers Market excursion!
Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
Serving size: 1 cup
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
½ cup white wine, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 medium summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
3. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil.
4. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
5. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Nutritional Fact Per Serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g saturated 2 g monounsaturated); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 3 g protein; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium
Article written by FFC’s Registered Dietician Carrie Linke, MS, RD, LDN. To contact Carrie email email@example.com.
Do you have an injury that pops up now and again, or a persistent pain that won’t go away? Stop by one of Fitness Formula Clubs’ following locations for a complimentary injury screening, courtesy of NovaCare.
All locations’ screenings will be 5:30-7:30 pm, except Union Station:
Wednesday, July 2: Halsted Street
Tuesday, July 8: West Loop
Wednesday, July 9: Lincoln Park
Tuesday, July 22: East Lakeview
Wednesday, July 23: Union Station (11:30 am-1:30 pm)
Wednesday, July 23: South Loop
NovaCare physical therapists are running specialists!
Training for your first 5k, 10k, half, or even full marathon? Don’t fret—NovaCare is here to get you to the finish line injury-free!
Runners in the Chicago community have trusted our therapists to address their injuries and equip them with the tools they need to achieve their goals. With you in mind, here are a few tips to prevent those injuries and keep you running strong!
1) Rolling toys! Every runner should invest in a foam roll. It will become your best friend, or close to it! Foam rolling is a great way to achieve an improved range of motion and to decrease pain. It’s what we in the therapy world call “soft tissue mobilization.” How does it work? The connective tissue encompassing our muscles is called fascia . When fascia becomes restricted, it needs is a little TLC to help keep muscles nice and loose, alleviating pain, or preventing certain musculoskeletal injuries such as ITB Syndrome and Runner’s knee. The most common running injury is knee pain, and with proper use of a foam roll, a good massage helps loosen the otherwise tight connective tissue. We even recommend using a foam roll after a run. Foam rolling, combined with drinking plenty of water, will help release lactic acid, which builds up in your muscles after a run and causes soreness. Foam rolls are available for purchase at any of our NovaCare locations! Visit www.novacare.com/markets/chicagoland.aspx to find the location closest to you!
2) Stretching! When do you stretch? Before a run, afterward or both? Not all stretches are created equal! We recommend you perform dynamic/active stretches before running, followed by static or dynamic stretching after your runs. Proper stretching is designed to loosen, activate, and mobilize your muscles, fascia, nerves, blood vessels, and lymph vessels, and all must be mobile for optimal performance! Think of it this way: we are three-dimensional creatures, so our tissues need to move and stretch in multiple directions. Stretching at different angles helps mobilize the entire muscle. Before you perform an activity, you need to alert your muscles to the task at hand. Doing active/dynamic stretching sets off the brain’s “task reminder.” Last but not least, never stretch into pain; listen to your body! Check out the stretches here: www.facebook.com/NovaCareChicago/photos_albums!
3) Strengthening! This is probably the most important tip. Remember, our bodies are three-dimensional, moving in multiple planes of movements. That’s why it’s important to strengthen all the muscles in your body. Specifically, we recommend balance, lateral gluteal work and core exercises. If you have a strong foundation and strong ankles, you reduce your risk of injury! Check out the recommended strengthening exercises here: www.facebook.com/NovaCareChicago/photos_albums!
4) Form Meets Function! Why do some people who use the foam roll and perform their core exercises still get injured? This is often the product of poor running form and running mechanics. Why not sign up for a Video Gait Analysis (VGA) at our FFC Union Station location, 444 W. Jackson Blvd., and find out how you could be a more efficient and injury-free runner? Call 312-407-0143 for more information on scheduling and costs.
5) Ice, Ice, baby. If something feels sore after a run, put some ice on it! Get a bag of frozen peas or put ice cubes in a Ziplock bag with some water and apply to the sore muscle or joint. Keep it there for 15 – 20 minutes. However, if pain or soreness persists, give us a call and we can help you out! Our injury hotline is here to provide you with answers and the recommended health care you need! Call 866-TRY-NOVA.
NovaCare is happy to provide the highest quality of care. Should you sustain an injury, trust NovaCare’s licensed physical therapists to offer unmatched compassion and expertise to help you return to running pain-free, and be ready to take on your next race with confidence!
Guest blog by Jason Garner, NovaCare Physical Therapist at FFC Union Station
Members of FFC Old Town who LIKE us on Facebook will learn about all the special happenings in the club and surrounding community, get to know your FFC Old Town staff and be motivated by inspirational postings. You will also have the opportunity to win a free personal training session each week in July! Starting Tuesday, July 1, members will be able to enter the contest every Tuesday through Sunday, and will be asked to LIKE FFC Old Town on Facebook, where the winner will be announced every Monday by the personal trainer whose session (s)he has won. Winners will not be announced at the club, so you have to check back on Facebook to see if you are one of the four lucky winners!
*The last winner will be picked Monday, July 28. One person cannot win more than once.
It’s summer in Chicago. And it finally feels like it! Join us for a class or workout during modified holiday hours before your weekend of fireworks and festivities. Follow the links below if you need some extra ideas for fun to fill your weekend. Have a safe and happy Fourth!
Thursday, July 3
- All clubs close at 8pm
Friday, July 4
- 7am – 3pm: Gold Coast, Halsted Street, Lincoln Park, Oak Park, South Loop
- 7am – 5pm: East Lakeview, West Loop
- Closed: Old Town, Union Station
Saturday, July 5
- All clubs open at regular time
Not sure what to get those special people in your life? Any athlete, Dad or Grad would be thrilled to have their hard work pay off with a relaxing massage or two. Choose from Two: 60 Minute Massages for $145 or 90 Minutes for $199. For more information, visit the Front Desk or book Spa services online here. Packages are available for purchase through June 30, 2014 and expire one year from date of purchase. No two discounts apply.
The annual summer of sharing member referral program begins June 1. This year FFC is celebrating our 30 year anniversary and giving you the opportunity to earn an unlimited number of $30 gift certificates.
Fitness Formula Clubs is proud to be the Official Health Club of the 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago Half Marathon presented by HumanaVitality. Join the fun on July 20th with 13.1 rockin miles through downtown Chicago, an epic finish in Grant Park and post race party with Cold War Kids. Not ready for a half marathon? Rock the 5K instead!
Save $10 on the half marathon with code FFCCHI and save $5 on the 5K with the code FFCCHI5K. We can’t wait to ROCK with you!
Click her to register: http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/chicago
Summer is finally here and along with warmer temps comes our summer group fitness schedules. Interested in taking your workouts outdoors? So are we. Whether it is rooftop, pool deck or yoga by the lake get some vitamin D and join us for summertime sun salutations. For all updated group fitness schedules go to ffc.com/group-fitness, you can search by club, class or instructor. See you in class.