https://ffc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Food-Prep-Tips-To-Eat-Healthier-FFC-Chicago.jpg 1000 1500 Megan Zink https://ffc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/ffc-logo-x2-160x160-1.png Megan Zink2018-08-29 00:03:022018-08-30 09:47:13All Clubs: Message from the RDs
Did you know September is National Cholesterol Education Month? Follow these 5 steps to improve your cholesterol:
- Know your numbers! See your doctor and get blood work regularly. Look for changes in total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides to determine your risk for heart disease.
- Consume MORE unsaturated fats coming from fish, nuts, seeds, avocado, and olive oil and LESS saturated fats coming from high fat meat and dairy products. **Omega 3s from fatty fish, flaxseed, and walnuts are super foods when it comes to reducing your cholesterol.
- Consume MORE fiber from real food, such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- LIMIT added sugars from packaged food and drinks. Look at the ingredients and limit foods that have “sugar”, “syrup”, or “juice concentrate” on the list. Instead, choose more whole fruits or dark chocolate for a sweet treat.
- Schedule an appointment with your RD at your club. Whether you want to prevent or treat heart disease, learning what foods to consume specific to your needs will make a huge difference!