Latest News Around the Clubs
Are You Up for a Challenge? Join Team Trek!
Race across America with three fellow members to four separate destinations! Stay motivated this summer with the help of your team and win prizes as you get fit. For six weeks, your team’s exercises will be converted into mileage to move your game piece along our map of the United States. Clubs will display the progress of their teams on a map and prizes will be awarded at each destination reached.
The 6-week program begins Monday, July 21 and runs through Sunday, Aug. 31. Registration is $49 and includes a 2014 Team Trek Shirt. Participants are eligible for 10% off fitness program purchases July 14–27.
For more information contact your club’s Team Trek administrator:
East Lakeview – Marissa Panzeri (email@example.com)
Gold Coast – Stephanie Metzler (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Halsted Street – Stacy Lane (email@example.com)
Lincoln Park – Cheryl Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Oak Park – Mike Radice (email@example.com)
Old Town – Megan Konor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
South Loop – Josh Finfrock (email@example.com)
Union Station – Keith Marszalik (firstname.lastname@example.org)
West Loop – Sarah Lund (email@example.com)
Fitness Formula Clubs, aka Chicago Magazine’s Best Chicago Gym, is teaming up with one of Chicago’s most iconic destinations to bring you yoga and Zumba on the Pier! Every weekend from Saturday, July 12 to Sunday, Aug. 31*, get outside and get your fitness on! Classes will be $5 for members, $10 for non-members and parking will be available for $5 with a voucher you’ll get at class.
Saturdays, 8:45 am: Yoga on the North front lawn
Sundays, 8:45 am: Zumba on the back East sundeck
*Classes will NOT be held on the Air & Water Show weekend – Saturday, Aug. 16 and Sunday, Aug. 17.
What if we told you there was something you could eat to fuel your body, improve your skin, aid in weight loss, and lower your risk for several chronic diseases? And that by buying it you’d be supporting your community? Well, it’s true! We’re talking about fruits and vegetables, and this time of year, your local Farmers Markets are chock-full of these nutrient-dense foods that not only offer several health benefits, but also taste fantastic. Buying local food also benefits the environment and the local economy, and promotes safer food supply practices.
What can you find in Chicago’s Farmers Markets in July? Fresh fruits available now include blueberries, blackberries, cherries, grapes, melons, nectarines, peaches, plums, raspberries and strawberries. You can also find a wide variety of vegetables, including artichokes, beets, bell peppers, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, green onions, kale, lettuce, okra, radishes, rhubarb, spinach, sprouts, summer squash, swiss chard, tomatoes and turnips.
Click here to find a Farmers Market near you! Here’s a delicious, healthy recipe you can make with the ingredients you find on your next Farmers Market excursion!
Braised Green Beans & Summer Vegetables
Serving size: 1 cup
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, halved and sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
½ cup white wine, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 pound green beans, trimmed
1 medium summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
3. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil.
4. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
5. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
Nutritional Fact Per Serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g saturated 2 g monounsaturated); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 3 g protein; 158 mg sodium; 290 mg potassium
Article written by FFC’s Registered Dietician Carrie Linke, MS, RD, LDN. To contact Carrie email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your skin has been through a lot. Your emotions have been toiled with. It was a rough winter. And it wasn’t the greatest spring. We think you deserve some high quality spa time to get you ready for what is sure to be a fun (and hopefully sun) filled summer. For the month of July, Fitness Formula Clubs is offering a spa deal every day of the week, valid until 3 pm.
Mondays: $39/30-minute massage or facial
Tuesdays: $69/60-minute massage or facial
Wednesdays: 20% of waxing services
Thursdays: $99/90-minute massage
Fridays: 20% off any single item in the Spa or Sport Shops
Weekends: $109/90-minute Vitality Signature Treatment
Get A Polished Look For Summer
Let’s face it, after the cold harsh winter, your skin is likely to feel and look a little more like a crocodile’s than a baby’s. That’s where we step in! In July, come to the Spa at FFC for a quick and fantastic Body Polish for just $29 (normally $55). A finely ground coffee scrub invigorates and detoxifies skin, sloughing away dry, dead skin cells to leave you feeling soft and smooth. Having a body polish before an Ortanic Airbrush Tan guarantees a smoother all-over application of the tanning solution, allowing it to set more evenly. Also this month, upgrade your Ortanic Tan to a Deluxe for just $6 (normally $9), which includes pre-and-post-spray balancers that extend the life and beauty of your tan by ridding your skin of oils & dry spots and finally, “sealing” in the tan with a mist. Come over to the spa and we’ll give you just the look you need to put the wow in your summer wardrobe!
*Restrictions may apply.
Tan Custom. Tan Smart. Ortanic.
Do you have an injury that pops up now and again, or a persistent pain that won’t go away? Stop by one of Fitness Formula Clubs’ following locations for a complimentary injury screening, courtesy of NovaCare.
All locations’ screenings will be 5:30-7:30 pm, except Union Station:
Wednesday, July 2: Halsted Street
Tuesday, July 8: West Loop
Wednesday, July 9: Lincoln Park
Tuesday, July 22: East Lakeview
Wednesday, July 23: Union Station (11:30 am-1:30 pm)
Wednesday, July 23: South Loop
NovaCare physical therapists are running specialists!
Training for your first 5k, 10k, half, or even full marathon? Don’t fret—NovaCare is here to get you to the finish line injury-free!
Runners in the Chicago community have trusted our therapists to address their injuries and equip them with the tools they need to achieve their goals. With you in mind, here are a few tips to prevent those injuries and keep you running strong!
1) Rolling toys! Every runner should invest in a foam roll. It will become your best friend, or close to it! Foam rolling is a great way to achieve an improved range of motion and to decrease pain. It’s what we in the therapy world call “soft tissue mobilization.” How does it work? The connective tissue encompassing our muscles is called fascia . When fascia becomes restricted, it needs is a little TLC to help keep muscles nice and loose, alleviating pain, or preventing certain musculoskeletal injuries such as ITB Syndrome and Runner’s knee. The most common running injury is knee pain, and with proper use of a foam roll, a good massage helps loosen the otherwise tight connective tissue. We even recommend using a foam roll after a run. Foam rolling, combined with drinking plenty of water, will help release lactic acid, which builds up in your muscles after a run and causes soreness. Foam rolls are available for purchase at any of our NovaCare locations! Visit www.novacare.com/markets/chicagoland.aspx to find the location closest to you!
2) Stretching! When do you stretch? Before a run, afterward or both? Not all stretches are created equal! We recommend you perform dynamic/active stretches before running, followed by static or dynamic stretching after your runs. Proper stretching is designed to loosen, activate, and mobilize your muscles, fascia, nerves, blood vessels, and lymph vessels, and all must be mobile for optimal performance! Think of it this way: we are three-dimensional creatures, so our tissues need to move and stretch in multiple directions. Stretching at different angles helps mobilize the entire muscle. Before you perform an activity, you need to alert your muscles to the task at hand. Doing active/dynamic stretching sets off the brain’s “task reminder.” Last but not least, never stretch into pain; listen to your body! Check out the stretches here: www.facebook.com/NovaCareChicago/photos_albums!
3) Strengthening! This is probably the most important tip. Remember, our bodies are three-dimensional, moving in multiple planes of movements. That’s why it’s important to strengthen all the muscles in your body. Specifically, we recommend balance, lateral gluteal work and core exercises. If you have a strong foundation and strong ankles, you reduce your risk of injury! Check out the recommended strengthening exercises here: www.facebook.com/NovaCareChicago/photos_albums!
4) Form Meets Function! Why do some people who use the foam roll and perform their core exercises still get injured? This is often the product of poor running form and running mechanics. Why not sign up for a Video Gait Analysis (VGA) at our FFC Union Station location, 444 W. Jackson Blvd., and find out how you could be a more efficient and injury-free runner? Call 312-407-0143 for more information on scheduling and costs.
5) Ice, Ice, baby. If something feels sore after a run, put some ice on it! Get a bag of frozen peas or put ice cubes in a Ziplock bag with some water and apply to the sore muscle or joint. Keep it there for 15 – 20 minutes. However, if pain or soreness persists, give us a call and we can help you out! Our injury hotline is here to provide you with answers and the recommended health care you need! Call 866-TRY-NOVA.
NovaCare is happy to provide the highest quality of care. Should you sustain an injury, trust NovaCare’s licensed physical therapists to offer unmatched compassion and expertise to help you return to running pain-free, and be ready to take on your next race with confidence!
Guest blog by Jason Garner, NovaCare Physical Therapist at FFC Union Station
FFC East Lakeview recently upgraded its Pilates studio from 250 to 450 square feet. Ten new pieces of equipment have been added to increase availability and programming. Welcome new instructor Justin Kam! Starting July 12, Justin will be adding a new class to the group apparatus schedule, Pilates Force Fusion, Saturdays at 1 pm. Contact Justin Kam at email@example.com for more info or to sign up!
There will also be a party to welcome Justin and celebrate the new space this month. Stay tuned for details!
FFC Gold Coast will be hosting its annual Rooftop Member Appreciation Party Thursday, Aug. 21, from 6-9 pm. Those of you who have attended in the past know it is not an event to be missed! New members, join us to celebrate 20 wonderful years!